Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hey Everyone, How are you doing. I am doing great. So what do you think about my blog so far? Well I'm not finish yet. I still have a lot of work to do. But if you have anything that you think that might look good on here. Then just let me know because I love help. I have been look at old crafts and I'm thinking about put some on here. This one is called a Braided Rug. Pioneers often found themselves with scraps of fabric left over, either fabric left from cutting out fabric scraps, or from old clothes that were no longer serviceable for wearing, but were perfectly fine for making rugs from.

Supplies

  • Fabric scraps, cut into strips 3 inches wide (for a thicker rug, you can cut them into 4, 5 or 6 inches wide, but make sure all strips are the same width)
  • Heavy weight thread, matching the most dominant color in your fabric scraps, or in gray.
  • Heavy needle for sewing (ask an adult for help).

Instructions

  1. To begin, sew three separate strips together at one end. You can also tie a secure knot instead.
  2. Begin braiding tightly. You can tie the end to something secure such as a chair or table leg, which will make it easier for you to quickly braid while keeping the braid tight.
  3. As you get to the end of a strip, you sew or knot a new strip on, and then keep braiding.
  4. When you have used all your scraps, you then begin at one end and coil it. You or an adult can then braid the edges together, until you reach the end of the braid
So that's how you do a braided rug. I found this activity off of a little house on the prairie site. So if you want to know more about some of the other crafts. Then you can go to http://www.laurasprairiehouse.com/crafts/braidedrug.html. They have some cute activities to do. If you like these kind of activities that come and check back. Because I may have some new ones for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment